Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December Quilt Challenge of the Month-A Tutorial

So Candi's challenge for December is to take that block we designed last month and do a tutorial on it. So here goes!



First off I want to say, that while I completely came up with the idea for this block, I did happen upon a block online that is very similar to it. As a matter of fact, the corner pieces are the only difference between the two. I have absolutely no idea if this block has already been done, I hadn't seen it before making it and posting about it. I simply sat down on my computer and trusy ol' Microsoft Paint and started coloring in triangles and squares. So my apologies if someone else has already created this block. As for the one I saw online, it was on Flickr and posted in someone's photo as a group of blocks she received back from a bee. I couldn't even tell you who made the one that I saw online the other day!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way! To create my block you will need:

(I think I'm going to do this tutorial in pictures, I just realized it's hard to explain things with so many different prints in one block!)







half square triangle tutorial








Lay your pieces out as pictured. Be careful with the layout, this can be a little like putting together a puzzle. Or change it up if you want! It's your block, do what you want :)




Now sew it together! I like to sew them into 4 patches first.




That's it, you're done!


Hey, did you know Distant Pickles has a Flickr Group? No? Well, we do! If you make one of these blocks, or anything else from our tutorials, we'd love to see it!


Distant Pickles Flickr Group


2 comments:

Post a Comment