Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wintery WIP Wednesday!

Looking for the Rainbow Layer Cake Swap? Click here!


Except it's so not wintery 'round these parts.

I've been out of the blogging game for a bit, but I'm getting back. Lee's WIP Wednesday posts are always a good motivator!

Right now, I only have one technical WIP to show off. I have a gigantic list of USOs (un-started objects, of course), but I've been working on a few small projects that seem to wrap up quickly.

My big WIP?

My rainbow quilt!
I went from a big stack of yummy charm squares, cut from yardage:



To a layered pinwheel quilt top:




My inspiration for this quilt was SewCraftyJess's doll quilt found here. Do you see those lovely curves? I do believe she used drunkard's path blocks for hers, but I'm being a bit lazier and doing a modified cathedral curve. What does that mean? It means all those "half square triangles" are not half square triangles. They're full charm squares of the color, with a white charm square, folded and pressed diagonally on top of them. What?! I found this idea here... check it out!

I'm currently piecing the back, but the plan is to baste it, and then curve all of those folded white edges back and stitch them down, just like a cathedral window curve is peeled back. It should create a nice curve and give a bit of motion to the pinwheels, right? Plus, by machine stitching the curves, they'll act as my quilting. I plan to bind in black.

I'm also doing up some mini quilts for my sewing room.  We've been doing a lot of stuff around the house lately, and I spent six hours Sunday going through fabric in my sewing room. I threw out three bags full of... stuff. Paper. Patterns and templates that I'd traced on card stock and didn't need. Bits of binding that were too short to be useful. Teensy scraps. Jars. Old notebooks. Y'all would have cried. But it's so clean and fresh in here and I feel like I can create again! Oh, and I ordered 19 yards of fabric yesterday to make up for all that's missing.

My first mini is finished, and it's with some yummy Heather Ross fishies! Love love love these fishies, and Julie was kind enough to send me some! I have plans for a few more. Just wait.




Don't forget about the Rainbow Layer Cake Swap - still have open slots!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

13 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

Oh my, I do love your rainbow pinwheels!

Lynne said...

Ooo, lovely! So bright and colourful!

Val said...

Ooooh I love the quilting you did on the fishies! So fun :)
I can't wait to see the end of your rainbow cathedrals, it'll be gorgeous I'm sure!

Leanne said...

I think that quilt is going to be very cool, I look forward to seeing it after you do the curving of the white bits.

UBee said...

Love that quilt, it sounds brilliant, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished!

Longvacation said...

So pretty! I love how bright it is.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh my gosh, Bree, I love your rainbow quilt so far!! And that photo of your two stacks of charm squares is just stunning :) Love your fishy mini, too, it's adorable!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Love it! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do those curves. Very cool!

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

I love rainbows, and this quilt hits the spot! Very nice!

Shelly said...

Love the rainbow pinwheels! And you're right, the fish are just adorable.

Jessica Kelly said...

Bree that is just fabulous! Love that idea for the spinner blocks, I just "pinned" it! I had plans to make a bigger version of that mini, and I just may do it that way instead! Thanks for the shout out :-)

The Thompsons said...

The fish are adorable & I love the bold pinwheel colors!

Cassie said...

That pinwheel top is going to be amazing! And the fish, so cute!

Post a Comment