Friday, July 5, 2013

A Few More Finishes For You


I was looking back over my list of goals for the second quarter of the 2013 Finish A Long and realized I had a couple of things I never posted about. And well, I need to post them to link them!

First up was an Idea Pouch (pattern by Michelle Patterns) for my mom.


I had originally made one for my step-dad for Christmas, even though he didn't have a tablet at the time. I knew he would have one eventually but could use it for work in the meantime, or my mom could use it for her tablet. That's what she ended up doing. Then she got a new tablet and it didn't fit. So I made her a new one, but a bit taller, for that new tablet to fit, and in some more girly colors. 


My parents also asked me to make a cover for the console in my step-dad's new truck.


It's not technically a console, but the middle seat folds down to use as an arm rest or a "desk" of sorts. It is fabric covered and with the work he does he gets dirty and sweaty and didn't want to ruin the fabric. 

Mom picked up a towel that matched the interior and I picked up some PUL and a gray solid. We made a template for the console and I got to work. 

I sandwiched the PUL in between the fabrics for both looks and because that stuff is slippery! 

I made some channels along the bottom for elastic to fit around the console to help hold it in place. I didn't want to sew the elastic right to it because the cover is actually quite snug and I wanted to give him the option of removing it if he wanted to or felt he didn't need it after all. 


I wasn't a huge fan of how the stitching showed through the towel though, but for a work truck it will do. 

I wish I had gotten a photo of it on the truck, I was so proud of myself for pulling this one off!



My goal post also said that I was going to make a bag for myself using the fabric I got from Spoonflower. I ended up going a different route for my own bag, but did make a bag with that fabric and wanted to show it off. 

As you can see, the scale of the print was quite large, so it really needed a big bag to show it off. 


I used a pattern from I Think Sew called the Chic Carryall that was in the One Yard Wonders book. She also has it listed on her website but it's called the Alice bag there. 

I had so much fun with it that I made another one using some Echino fabric that I had on hand. 


Both bags are now listed in my etsy store, along with a few other things I've been making here and there. Now that I'm finally using my etsy store, it's been kind of fun sewing things just on a whim, with no recipient or reason in mind other than because I feel like it. I haven't been taking advantage of that store enough in the past! 

I'll be back in the next day or two with a second quarter recap and a goal setting for quarter three. For now, I'm linking this and Spirograph up to Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. Go check out the other finishes!





1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great finishes. I keep thinking I'm going to make a bag one day, and I've been working on a tablet case for my mother-in-law who just joined the 21st Century.

Post a Comment