Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Easiest Cathedral Window You'll Ever Make

I've fallen in love with the cathedral window quilt pattern as of late, but I'm a bit of a quickie kinda gal. The prospect of hand sewing thousands of little windows makes me want to cry. So, being of the cheating variety, I looked online for hints on machine-stitching cathedral windows.

And O.M.G.

I'm in love. I might propose. I'm sure it's probably happened to him before, as a result of his awesometastic tutorial.

I've done two pillows so far with his method. I started with an 18" square on the first pillow, and a 16" square on the second. I wanted the fronts of the pillows to be bold and large, rather than teeny and intricate, so I opted for larger starting squares.



(please excuse the lumpiness of pillow #2. I didn't have a proper sized form, so I just kinda stuffed a crib-sized quilt in there)

 I'm happy to report the squares worked out beautifully, though I did forget to tack down my windows on the second pillow, and you can tell at the intersections.

Of course, in my house, pillows get tossed every which direction. I've got a 130 lb dog, a two year old and one of those things they call a man... you know, the most destructive ones of all? Since my pillows are never actually where I put them, I insist on prettified backings.

Using the Easy Overlapping Pillow Cover tute, you can do anything to make your back pretty! For pillow #1, I chose overlapping hexagons, cinched with some twine and wood buttons:


Pillow #2, I was feeling some zig zag action... no HSTs involved!


I was going to attempt to make a tutorial for the pillow covers, but quite honestly, I think Eddie knocked it out of the park, and I don't know if I could even come close to his level of awesomeness. I am, however, more than happy to answer any questions y'all might have!

Don't forget to enter the Memory Tree starter kit giveaway, with the Candy Bar from Fabric Donkey!


0 comments:

Post a Comment