Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday Finishes


Ok, so technically it's Saturday, but it was still Friday when I started working on this post and it's still Friday on the west coast, so I'm running with it.

I've been promising some finishes so here they are!

First up is a quilt for my youngest son, Moose.

A good friend of mine sent me a "Quilt Block A Day" calendar and this pattern was in it.


I love piecing my backings, I think it gives the quilt character. I also pieced the binding, but you can't see it very well in the picture.


The funniest thing happened when I went to quilt it. I started to free motion stipple it, and I kept popping my thread. No matter what I did, the thread would just keep popping. So I put the dual feed foot on the machine and did random straight line stitching. No problems at all with it. I figured the quilt was trying to tell me something.


Next up is a quilt for my oldest, Monkey. Poor kid, first born and last to get a quilt. He waited very patiently though, I must say. Pattern is Charming Stars found on Moda Bake Shop. He picked the pattern and the fabrics. He did a great job I think!


I also pieced this backing. For the binding, I had a striped fabric that I really loved and somehow, somewhere, I messed up my math and didn't have enough. I had to piece what was left which was one corner of the quilt. Monkey said "That's ok Mom, it gives it character". Love that kid!


I tried free motioning stars on this one and was very pleased with how they turned out.


Next up is my Tortoiseshell Quilt Along finish, I can't believe I forgot to show it off!



I did some embroidery work on this one


I also finished up the Amy Butler bag. Pattern is Sweet Harmony Handbag


The pattern was fairly easy and straightforward. There was a lot of prep work involved. The hardest part was sewing through all the layers and trying to shove the bag under the sewing machine to topstitch. It's so stiff from all of the fusible fleece and interfacing that bending it wasn't easy!

Here's the inside, I put in one zipper pocket and one long pocket to slip my checkbook in (the pencil is there to give my camera something to focus on)


I had to alter the pocket a bit. My phone is pretty wide so I couldn't put the pleat in the pocket like the pattern says. I like having a special place for my phone though!


This is a very sturdy bag and overall I'm very pleased with it. 

One last thing...

...a bee block for Melissa for the 12 Month Quilting Bee. This is the first virtual quilting bee I've joined and I'm having lots of fun. Melissa asked for a Mod Mosaic block, here's my take.


This was the first time I've ever made one of these. My brain had a hard time with the wonky-ness of it but I'm pleased with the final result. 

I've been keeping busy, hopefully I'll have some more finishes to show you soon!


0 comments:

Post a Comment