Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WIP Wednesday, Did You Miss Me?


Bree mentioned my computer was on the fritz last week. My kids decided it was thirsty and gave it a glass of milk. I opened it up and cleaned it out and thought I got it all, but a pop and hiss later and it was a goner. I have the WORST luck ever with computers. Fortunately it happened right before we were expecting our tax return so I was able to get a new one fairly quickly. I went with a desktop this time, an all-in-one so it wouldn't take up too much room and so I could hang it on the wall and the kids couldn't hurt it. I ordered it on Monday of last week, and it got here Wednesday. I was so excited, I ripped it open and plugged it in, and nothing. It wouldn't turn on. Did I mention that I have the worst computer luck? So I had to send it back and wait for a new one, which arrived yesterday. I was so nervous and worried that it wouldn't work either, but surely my luck can't be THAT bad, right? So, with baited breath, I plugged it in and hit the power button and hooray! We were back in business. So far I LOVE this new computer, it's a touchscreen which is pretty awesome. And it's compact and doesn't take up too much room, especially since it's hanging on the wall. Space is very important in this tiny house of mine. Keep your fingers crossed I can make this one last longer than a year!! I have to keep giggling at myself too, I'm so used to a laptop keyboard that when I need to move the mouse I automatically move my thumbs down, looking for the touchpad. This will take some getting used to I think. 

So, what have I been up to? 

Remember in the beginning of the year I said I was going to relax and take things slow, enjoy the process more. So that's exactly what I've been doing. I quit working in assembly line style. I found I get bored when I do that and start counting how many more pieces I have left to do. That's not enjoying the process!!

I started on a new quilt using the Off the Rail pattern by Julie of Jaybird Quilts. It requires lots of strip piecing (this is where I realized that assembly line piecing was boring).



And some fussy cut squares. How did I not notice that quilt hanging on the line in this print before now?


I have roughly about 20 blocks out of 30 done on this one.

I've pulled more fabrics for the Farmer's Wife quilt. We took a break over the winter and are starting up this week. I need to make 12 blocks to catch up.



I worked on this a bit the other day, pulled the fabrics in the morning and cut some of them that night. Once I quit enjoying it, I stopped. I have to say this new mantra of mine is working quite well for me, it's nice to not hate a project.

I also finished piecing all of my arcs for the Double Wedding Ring and ordered the solids for it, they'll be here tomorrow! This one will take a LOT of cutting, by hand, using scissors, before I can move on it some more. 


Here are all 254 arcs




I've also been doing some brainstorming and sketching for a couple of swaps. I've joined both Round 2 of For the Love of Solids and the Mouthy Stitches pouch swap. My pouch partner has tastes very similar to mine so I think she'll be easy to please. My solids partner is going to be a bit harder I think. Her taste in color palette is quite different than mine and her love of geometric designs has me thrown for a loop. I think I have a good idea of what she will like though. I'm waiting on some fabric to arrive before I can get started, I'll share more on these later!


I'm linking up to Lee this week, it sure has been awhile since I have!



6 comments:

Lynne said...

Welcome back. You seem to have quite a bit on the go!

Jessica Kelly said...

wow! I cant even imagine how fabulous your DWR is going to be!!!! Great projects all around, and yay for new working computers!

Lynette said...

Great projects there. :) What totally cool novelty fabric, especially with that quilt on the line!

Heidi Staples said...

Gorgeous fabrics you're using. I can't wait to see how these turn out!

Unknown said...

umm... Love! All of it! I've admired that Off the Rail pattern for a while, and it looks like you've chosen some great fabrics for it. Can't wait to see the finished piece. I also love the fabrics for your DWR. I haven't seen many modern takes on that one.

Melinda said...

Wow! That Double Wedding Ring is going to be yummy! Sorry about the milk incident. I have a 5 year old son who was playing on our computer and waited too long to make it to the potty (because he didn't want to stop what he was doing). Well, he wet the floor which led to a wet power strip which shorted out the computer. Uh, yeah. He's still with us but it was iffy there for a couple of minutes! Oh, and I love those Hideaway charms by Moda! I made a baby quilt out of that!

Post a Comment