Sunday, September 30, 2012

Procrastination at it's Finest


So, Craft Buds is having this linky party. And they've been having it like, all month long. Yet here it is, an hour and half left of the last day of the month, and the last day to link up a project. The goal is to link up any project that you've made using a crafting book. Easy, right? 

I've been really enjoying seeing the projects pop up all over blog land. I kept telling myself, you own a bunch of craft books, make something! Problem is, I've been so busy working on deadline type stuff that I was trying to find something in a book that I could double as one of those deadlines, to no avail. 

Then, for my anniversary gift from the Hubs, I ordered both of the One Yard Wonders books thinking I would be sure to find something in there. Except, they won't be here until Tuesday and that's just too late. 

And I've made quite a few things using patterns, but I don't think they qualify. So, I'm going to pull out an oldie but (hopefully) a goody because the rules say I can. 

This was the quilt that I made for my husband's boss and wife. Well, for their soon to be born baby boy. And in true Julie fashion, I waited until the last minute. He was born something like 4 days after it was delivered! Hey, if I didn't procrastinate I wouldn't be me, and I kinda like me.


The pattern for this quilt came from the book Little Bits Quilting Bee by Kathreen Ricketson. It is called Cloud Song

Cloud Song image borrowed from Kathreen Ricketson via Whipup.net

I was originally going to make another quilt from the same book for the baby but the Hubs was flipping through the book and saw this one and liked it better. And I already had the Peak Hour charm packs picked to use, so he suggested I make car appliques instead of clouds. He's pretty helpful like that sometimes. 

I simply printed images from the Peak Hour fabrics and traced them onto freezer paper and made appliques from them for each vehicle and vehicle part. Then I raw edge appliqued them onto the quilt top.



For quilting, I used the H2O pattern by Leah Day of the Free Motion Quilting Project. You can see the quilting best in this photo of it wrapped and ready to be delivered.


The back was a fun little mish mash of coordinating solids.


I received a beautiful hand written thank you card from her a few weeks later. She really loved it and was so incredibly thankful and couldn't believe that I had made her new son a quilt. See, she and I have never even met! The Hubs asked for it though for his boss and I was more than happy to oblige, because every new baby needs their own quilt! 

Speaking of the Hubs and our anniversary, I was able to complete his gift just in the nick of time. Ok, I finished it at about 10:30 last night for our anniversary, today. There's nothing like a good deadline to motivate you, eh? I'll get some pics tomorrow and share it. I'm happy to say that he loves it!!

Craft Book Month at Craft Buds




6 comments:

felicity said...

Gorgeous finish - I'm a member of the Last Minute Club. Like you, I just wouldn't be me if I weren't. :)

Leanne said...

I think I remember this quilt, the applique is wonderful! I work better under pressure too it seems.

Leanne said...

PS, happy anniversary and I am looking forward to seeing your finished present.

Tamie said...

What a sweet quilt for a new baby boy. It is so nice when someone appreciates your hard work.

Heidi Grohs said...

Julie...this is why you and I get along so well....we are both really good at pro-craftination!!! <3

Lynne said...

What a lovely quilt for a little guy, well done you! And a hand-written note is such a bonus in these technologically-charged days!

Post a Comment