Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sewing Summit... Sorta

So, you guys know what Sewing Summit is, right? Mega cool event with classes, lectures, awesomeness galore? It's in two weeks, and features such awesome teachers, people get star struck just hearing the names. ALL the big bloggers go, right?

Well, ladies and gentlemen... let's be real. Some of us are po' folk. And I don't mean the restaurant. I can't afford to go to something like Summit. Or Quilt Con or Market or anything like that. I get few precious vacation days from work, which are spent happily with my family, and what spare spending change I get wouldn't amount to bus fare to one of these events, let alone a plane ticket and lodging.

So I was chatting with Sarah the other night on Twitter. We were expressing our woes of not being able to attend cool events when the idea struck....

a SORTA SUMMIT!

What do you guys think about a virtual sewing summit?  We'll have photo/video tutorial "classes", with the hosts available for questions as the "class" is in session. Quilting classes, crafting classes, maybe some bags? We thought we'd host the event on facebook, since it's a central location everyone can convene at. If you don't have facebook, get it peeps - it's free. And so's this event. Yay for the po' folks!

We're going to need some help to pull it off. We'll need instructors... if you have an idea for a class you'd like to teach, let me or Sarah know and we'll try to work up a schedule soon. We're hoping to come up with some fun giveaways to go alongside the classes, too - so if you want to donate something for a giveaway prize, let us know!

 I'm planning on doing a binding class myself, with different looks you can achieve with a few tweaks to your binding techniques. We're going to have classes at all levels - so no one feels excluded. Just beginning at this quilting thing? We'll have a really easy block tutorial that you can get accomplished in a class's time, and the facebook group will stay open so that any questions that come up later on can be answered - whether by the original host or someone else who is working on it too!

Sound fabulous? Let us know if you're interested in "attending" or being an instructor, or have something you'd like to give away!



19 comments:

Heidi Grohs said...

I would be SO in!!!!!!! That sounds fabulous!!! I just don't know what I would be good at teaching?!?!?

Dede said...

As if you even have to ask - I'm in! I don't think I could instruct anything, and I don't have a blog where I could link to give anything away....but I'll be there, for sure!

Rebecca said...

I'd love to attend. :)

Misty said...

I love the idea!! I'm relatively new to quilting but eating everything up on all the amazing blogs. I'd love to take classes but there are none around me and since this is still kind of a new hobby there's no way I would drop that kind of money to go to one of those things. I think it sounds amazing and I have at least one long distance friend that would join in as well.

Douglas said...

I'd love to "attend!!!"

Penny Poppleton said...

I'm keen to help out! Count me in :) I could do a little class!!

Kelli said...

What an awesome idea! I am SO game! Though new to this whole quilting thing, I have wanted to attend one of those cool quilting conferences. But like you said, they are just TOO DANG EXPENSIVE! Thanks for organizing this - I can't wait!

Nanette said...

Wow, that's an awesome idea! I wish I had something I could contribute as an instructor, but I'm still pretty new at all of this. So I'll definitely participate, but as for being an instructor...maybe next time.

Debbie said...

As one of the poor folk who just got into quilting I would love to attend!

Rachel said...

I am definitely not skilled enough to instruct :-) (I will be doing well if I can find the facebook group, just saying, LOL) but if I can manage to find it I would attend...I would be willing to consider doing a prize, once we know the details of what that entailed :-)Looking forward to more details!!

Colby said...

I love it! I would love to instruct! I just need to think of a skill or project that would work for it! Are y'all looking for anything specific?

Sonya said...

I'd "attend"!! I need some motivation and inspiration!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

This sounds like a great idea!

fotohok said...

That sounds AMazing! I'd love to see, watch, participate and all that. Can we lend de-stash as prizes? :) I am a photographer and could instruct on capturing your creations or understanding your camera. Anything that'd be helpful and/or interesting.

momof3 said...

I would love to "attend". I am a self-taught quilter and would love to participate at my own pace.

Tracey said...

Fun and great idea! I will watch for more details!!

Bree said...

Great idea! I'd be happy to do a class - bags, zip pouches, even frame pouches (not that I'm an expert by any means, but I'm happy to share what I know!). Keep me updated!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Sounds like such a fun idea!

Becky said...

Oh, how cool! Just found you the last few days, 'cause I'm "po" too, and can't go to the sewing summit. I may have a tutorial to help out tomorrow if you're interested. Off to browse your blog a bit...

Post a Comment