Thursday, July 26, 2012

Scrap Attack

I'm still working on getting through my many many piles of stuff. The disorganization has slowed me down a bit, but it's getting taken care of little by little.

This massive pile


has been cleaned up, folded up and reorganized into my stash.


Well, most of it anyway. Some of it's going back in the scrap bin, but a much smaller one once I get one. Maybe if I have a scrap bucket the size of a shoebox, instead of a huge rubbermaid tote, I might keep them organized better!

While digging through the scraps, I found a ziploc bag full of tiny little triangles. They were the leftovers from the Supernova quilt. During the trimming process I ended up with all these little triangles, perfectly paired up, a print with a solid. 

So, I started sewing


and then sewing some more


Until I ended up with this


Random question: When you use starch, does it wrinkle up your fabrics at the seams too? Am I doing something wrong?

I have no clue what I'm going to do with this. It finished at about 18" square. I have a few ideas though so I'm going to just stew on it a bit. At least it's something besides a ton of little triangles though, right?

Oh, and let me tell you about my handy little tool. I bought a That Purple Thang after hearing that "Every quilter/crafter/seamstress needs one". I was having a dickens of a time opening up all of those little triangles to press them. So I grabbed the Purple Thang and voila!


I just rubbed the tip up against the fabric with one hand and I grabbed the top fabric with the other and it opened right up! Made things go a lot smoother, let me tell you. 

And just so you don't think I've been slacking off elsewhere, here's my current progress on the Prince Charming Single Wedding Ring quilt.


Yes, that's another Instagram pic, sorry about that. I told myself I would always take pictures with the real camera for the blog but part of it is off of the wall right now because of a basting fiasco. See my bed right there at the bottom left corner of the picture? I use my bed to baste quilts and every time I moved around and flopped the fabric around the blocks would fall off the wall! So I took them down for now, and it's almost midnight, so I promise a better picture another time. I'll tell you the story of the basting fiasco of The Demon Quilt too. That would be the one made with this stack.


Very fitting colors for such a name, don't you think? 

And one last pic, of my little helper this time. He just loves to climb up behind my sewing machine and play with it while I sew.


Yes, he was eyeballing those scissors. And YES, mama was keeping a VERY close eye on him.  No babies were harmed in the making of this post, pinky swear.




2 comments:

Lisa said...

I have lots of scraps to that I keep in a really big bag at my machine. I am not organized because I would less time to sew! So, I will live unorganized until I need something out of it. So don't worry about the tote, just sew, you make beautiful fun stuff. Your lil man is just so cute.

Lindsey said...

Love the zigzag quilt.
Yes my seams gets all wrinkly like that when I starch.
I finally started using my purple thang (which I've owned for about 2 years) this week, I'll file that tip away for future use.
The Prince Charming quilt is fabulous!

Post a Comment