I decided to tackle some bee blocks to help work through my creative funk. For the Christmas Bee both of the Queen Bees for August told us specifically what they wanted, no thinking involved. Or so I thought.
Cassey wanted Drunkard's Path blocks. And well, after having just put together the Ogee Quilt Along top I figured I had this one in the bag!
Yeah, it's not so easy when you're making it for someone else. You want it to be perfect right?
This is as close as I could get
Even though I know they're pretty good, my inner perfectionist isn't happy. One seam is off on the top circle and they're not perfect circles. But this was my 3rd (4th?) attempt and I'm happy I got this close. I hope Cassey is happy too!
Kari wanted Interlocking Seasons blocks. I was totally up for the challenge when I saw the picture she posted in the Flickr group, then I started sewing.
Let's just say if my seam ripper and I weren't friends before, we are bosom buddies now.
Overall they were fun to put together. I just either didn't read the directions thoroughly or they weren't very clear and I kept putting the wrong pieces in the wrong spot. Then on the first one I got 3 of the 4 quadrants done to realize that I paired the wrong fabrics together and had to rip an entire quadrant apart.
Let's just say block #2 went much smoother. And thank you thank you thank you Kari for cutting the pieces for us!! That was a life saver. It took me all afternoon and into the night just to piece the blocks. I can only imagine how long it took to cut the pieces.
And because I'm showing off bee blocks, here's my last July block.
Corley wanted improv blocks showcasing some fussy cuts
My brain has a hard time with wonky and improv, I'm more of an orderly type of person, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.
I'm happy to say I'm actually all caught up with my bees for the moment! I have one more to do for August but I'm still waiting on the fabric to arrive, it's going to be a fun one!