Thursday, June 2, 2011

Answer!


So, what did a portable ironing board, a rotating cutting mat, and some transistor radios have in common?

This!


Eh? What is that you say?

Why, I'm glad you asked! It's a carryall!


I go to a stitch and bitch every two weeks and was trying to find a way to streamline how I transport all of my STUFF. I make so many trips back and forth from my mom-mobile into the building and it becomes a pain.

So I dreamed up a little carry all one day.


Feel free to ignore the marker on my portable ironing board.

Remember this little cutie?


Yeah, that's an old picture. She's two now and looks more like this


The mischievous little monkey. She colored on the ironing board.

Back to the project...

I made a quilt sandwich type thing with the transistor radio and the blue fabric. Then I measured how thick my cutting mat and ironing board were.


I made a mark at the halfway mark on my sandwich (across the short side) and then even marks on either side of that that equaled the thickness of my mat and board.


Then I stitched on the outer two lines to create the fold


Then I added the pockets by laying the cutting mat and the ironing board on their respective sides, pinning the pocket in place, and then removing the board and mat and stitching the pockets down.
 You can see the stitching for the pocket and the fold in this picture.


After that was done I bound it like a quilt and added the handles. I have to admit I'm not too crazy about the handles.


Now I have a dilemma. 

After I finished the carryall, I thought to myself "Why did I waste the time and fabric on that?" Have you ever had that happen? I think that's why it took me so long to finally show this to you. I haven't even put an enclosure on it to keep it closed because I'm just disappointed with the project. I mean, it does it's job, I've used it! But I was doing just fine without it before.

Sigh...I'm actually having thoughts of ripping it apart and salvaging the fabric. What's a girl to do?


1 comments:

Andrea said...

I like your work and use the fabrics .. on the plate put ironing something else?

Post a Comment