Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wicked Good WIP Wednesday

Back for another edition of WIP Wednesday!

As usual, a lot of projects going on, a little at a time.

On Ogee and Haunted House:
I did nothing. I hang my head in shame. I've got deadlines coming up on these two quilts for the Margaret's Hope Chest Wrapped in Hope quilts, so I'm focused on those! But I hope to piece some curves for Ogee tomorrow night.

On Zach's Jungle D9P:
I mentioned this was done last week, but Zach's mommy wanted some matching curtains... so I happily obliged and tossed in some matching pillowcases, too! I'm a bad, bad blogger and forgot photos. I was so focused on convincing a quilt, 2 curtain panels, and 2 pillowcases that they would fit into a flat rate envelope that I was scared to take them out for pictures when I finally jammed them in there! They're arriving this week, and she's promised me photos.

On Swoon:

That's right! Mega progress! I finished the white pinwheels, assembled some pink swoon squares, figured out my horse shape, sewed and trimmed! The basic process is to layer your three pieces, all with right side facing up - first the pink, then a layer of muslin (to prevent the pink from showing through on the white), and then the white layers. Pin the heck out of it, draw your shape, then stitch around the outside of your shape and anywhere you want to remain white. Cut very very carefully around the stitch lines - only through your white and your muslin. In the end, your pink is exposed! Very tedious process, but very rewarding. More process is outlined by Dan at Piece and Press - he has some absolutely incredible quilts and his Hero quilt is the one I'm basing this horse quilt off.
(Adding, I'm not selling his design or this quilt - it's a donation quilt for a girl who loves horses. I try to be semi original, but Dan's quilt was so freaking amazing that I didn't really want to change any aspect of it!)
I have to add borders to this quilt and piece the back before it's ready to quilt, but I feel like I made real progress!

On Max and Whiskers D9P for MHC:
I picked the backing. Gah! I've done nothing on this, at least not effectively. I'm hoping to piece my 9 patches this week.

New:
Cat in the Hat baby quilt and taggy toy. Done start to finish. Sometimes you just need a quick project!


As Always, Linking up to WIP Wednesday!



20 comments:

Lee said...

Wow, that horse is incredible. Interesting process to create it as well. The white pinwheels in the background are very cool too. I am impressed!

Thanks (in advance) for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Lynne said...

I agree with Lee - that horse is incredible!

Thanks for continuing to inspire me.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow. That horse is jaw-dropping. Wow!!! That is so awesome!

Heidi Grohs said...

I am cracking up about the flat envelope. I have SO been there! I will just imagine them in my mind, okay?

M-R Charbonneau said...

Bree, your horse is beautiful. Very cool process. I'm going to go check out that site you mentioned. Your Cat in the Hat quilt is adorable too. Well done!

Cindy said...

Your horse is just shocking! Beautiful!

Lynette said...

Amazing horse!! I've seen a few pieces in this technique by a dude blogger and you two awe me. :D

Melinda said...

The horse is, Wow! But I love the Cat in the Hat quilt. Brings back memories!

Katie B said...

That horse is phenomenal!

Kelly Irene said...

I'm with everyone else here...your horse is stunning. Thanks for sharing your process for making it!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love your Cat in the Hat quilt. The horse leaves me speechless.

littlemissmk said...

the horse is incredible!

Marci Girl said...

Yes, I'm pretty much saying what everyone else it...beautiful horse!

Melissa said...

Lovely and beautiful. All of it. Great job!
I've been meaning to try reverse applique for some time, and you've re-inspired me. :)

Rebecca said...

The horse is gorgeous! And the Dr. Seuss fabric is so fun!

Letterpress said...

Like everyone else, I am impressed not only with the horse design and process, but also with your determination to get that part completed. I might have given up ages ago.

I laughed when you berate yourself for not getting things done because that's sometimes what I do! I think I'm a machine or something and want to get everything finished yesterday. I decided to take stock of what I had completed every Friday, and be happy with whatever progress I'd made. (And try not to beat myself up if the output wasn't as much as I'd hoped. . .). Bravo to you for all that you have finished!

Elizabeth E.
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

Leanne said...

I love that quilt, I have been watching Dan on his blog. Your rendition is wonderful!

Kerstin said...

Awesome horse, but just reading about the process makes my head spin...

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

fabulous Horse!! so beautiful, wow. : )
~Monika in Canada

Dan R said...

Your horse is looking great!

Post a Comment