Monday, June 6, 2011

Halloween In June!

I've mentioned on my last few WIP Wednesday posts that I've been working on a Haunted House Quilt. Well.. browsing through blogland brought me to Adventures of a Cross-Stitch Drama Queen last week, and I discovered that she's hosting Halloween In June!

Perfect motivation mixed with a smidge of inspiration.

This weekend, I got busy. I finished all my blocks for the haunted house quilt. I have 8 houses, two little scenes, and 10 wonky topsy turvy blocks, as originally planned. Please excuse the bad angle, bad lighting and.. bad, bad. Ogee is still on my design wall and there are too many pieces to attempt to take that down!















After talking it over with Julie, I decided that a pieced sashing would detract from the blocks, but the quilt still needed something. She, in sheer brilliance, presented the following:


A thin Coal border, followed by my pieced rows in border form, and framed out by another Coal border. BRIL!

This brings the previously 48x60 quilt out to 72x84. Uh... uh oh. I only bought 2 yards of backing, intending to just widen it with some piecing! JUNK!

Good thing we lurve us some pieced backings, eh? The following has come out, and I'm quite entranced. The orange spiderwebs are a print from Riley Blake's Boo To You collection. Some black and Kona Coal from the stash help piece width wise, and some leftover Boo to You charms will add height. Awesome!













Now,  after joining up at Adventures of a Cross-Stitch Drama Queen, I've doodled myself out some more plans.
First, my remaining RB Boo to You charms will form a snowball block table runner, yum!









I've also got some half-yard cuts of Eerie Alley and something else that are begging to be pillow-fied. I'm feeling a wicked zig zag with some of it!



I've got a few treat bags in mind, as well, but those need more thought and... well, I don't have stash fabrics for those.
    Anyone up to join us? I'm loving the early Halloween crafting!



    4 comments:

    Tracey Jacobsen said...

    awesome plans here... perfect. :)

    JuliePickles said...

    Since I helped figure out the borders that means you're sending it to me when it's done, right? You have my address ;)

    jlk said...

    I love it! It's going to look amazing.

    Staci said...

    Your quilt is darling! Great job!
    I'm working on a Halloween quilt today, too! Yay!

    Post a Comment