Sunday, May 27, 2012

An Off The Rail Finish!

I have another finish to share!

I told you guys I was on a serious roll, just wait until you see what my list looks like on WIP Wednesday this week!

I started this project back in January and worked on it little by little until I got the top pieced. Then I put it away while I pondered the backing, as I tend to do with all of my quilts. 

Hideaway Off the Rail

The pattern is Off the Rail by Julie Herman and the fabrics are the Hideaway collection by Lauren and Jessi Jung. I knew when I bought the fabrics that I wanted some kind of scrappy looking quilt for them where I could really have fun with the colors. This pattern just seemed to fit the bill.

I fussy cut the centers from the cuckoo clock and swiss chalet prints.

Hideaway Off the Rail

One day, while sorting through my stash, I happened upon the remnants of a couple of charms packs of the same collection and the idea for the backing quickly came together. I picked solid colors that paired well with the collection and got quickly to work. 

You can also see the quilting in this picture. I quilted in a grid, roughly about 1/4" on one side of each seam, and also on the outside of each fussy cut center. 

Back of Hideaway Off the Rail

I didn't think ahead when I decided to make a backing that had equal sizes of fabrics all the way around. Matching the top to the back to keep it that way was a chore! I'm glad it worked out in the end though.

The binding is a print I found at the new LQS, it's from the Alegria collection by Geninne Zlatkis. There are some gorgeous prints in that collection and this triangle print is a great blender. I'm thinking I'm going to have to pick some up in the other colors that they come in too.

Off the Rail binding

I'm happy to cross another one off of my list! I have another finish to share once I get it hung and get some pictures. I'm trying to work my way through the list so that I can devote my time to some really fun things I have going on. I'll share more about those later!

Linking this up to the Summer Sewing Contest at Ellison Lane Quilts!


5 comments:

Longvacation said...

Oh wow, your quilt looks fabulous! I love how you decided to do the backing, impressive colors there. I've been saving my Hideaway, so it's nice to see how it looks in a quilt.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

this is so cute Julie! Great job!
I love the back too...

Lynne said...

Wow! A reversible quilt - the back is stunning and the front is gorgeous!

Heidi Grohs said...

I agree. That binding fabric is awesome. And remind me to either ignore future posts of Yours...you are getting way too much done. Show off!

Kelli said...

Very cute--both front and back!

Post a Comment