Friday, May 11, 2012

A Quilt Fit for a Prince

A Frog Prince that is.

Remember the sister who got married last year? Well, now she's having a baby, a boy.

When she was a kid she was dubbed with the nickname Tadpole. Obviously she was teased a lot when she got older about having to kiss a lot of frogs to find her prince. We have pictures of her kissing frogs even, all fake frogs of course. 

Who better to be on the quilt for her new baby boy than the Frog Prince himself?

Baby quilt for Asher

Little sis happens to like jewel tones so the fabrics were just perfect from the start. I made the diamonds using half square rectangles, that was a new experience! 

The backing was made from the leftover fabrics from the front, it showcases the larger scale prints really well and I love that I was able to use a large piece of the Turtle Bay print somewhere, it's one of my favorites!

Back of baby quilt for Asher

The fussy cut frog border was a bit of a challenge because the frogs were printed with the length of fabric and not the width. I had to order more than I normally would have needed to get a long enough piece to make the top and bottom borders without having to piece them. I love all of those frog faces looking back at me!

Fussy cut frog border

The "solid" that I used was actually a Bernartex print, it has really fine lines running through it. I meant to order something for it and planned to put it together at my quilting weekend back in March, but didn't get it done in time. I found this print when we went shopping and it happened to work perfectly! I think it having those lines on it gives it a little bit more depth than a solid would have. 

I think this may be only the second time I have completed a baby quilt before the baby was even born! I hope it brings him lots of warmth and so can't wait to see him snuggled up in it when he gets here!



6 comments:

Longvacation said...

What a cool quilt, the frog border idea worked out wonderfully.

twelfthzodiac said...

Very cute quilt...and that fabric seems to suit perfectly! Love how you took the extra time to make the border all frogs :)

Melanie said...

That frog border is to die for! Such a great quilt! I'm sure mom and baby will love it!

Chrystal said...

I am just in love with the look of this quilt! The pattern and the fabrics are great!

Cille said...

Its a beautiful quilt. I Dorte The Prince Charming fabrics.

Lynne said...

I'm sure she'll love it!

Post a Comment