Friday, May 25, 2012

This Baby is Going Places

And I've got just the quilt to get him there!

The hubs came home from work one day and told me his boss and wife were expecting baby #4, so of course I asked him if he wanted me to make a quilt. We found out they were having a boy and my thoughts immediately went to the new Peak Hour collection by Kellie Wulfsohn. You know Kellie right? She's the amazing talent behind the blog Don't Look Now. If you've never seen her work then go run and check it out, I'll wait....

....Amazing stuff, right?

The hubs picked this pattern out of one of my books, Little Bits Quilting Bee to be exact. It's called Cloud Song and actually has a totally different look to it in the book, but I adapted it to the car theme of the fabrics.  We got word that the mom most likely wouldn't make it to her due date so I started feeling the pressure to get it finished. My husband really wanted to give it to them before the baby was born so I found out last Wednesday that I suddenly had a deadline of Thursday to finish it!


I stayed up really late Wednesday night sewing on the binding with plans of taking pictures first thing before he took off with it. I got the pictures alright, at 6:00 am, in the rain. Thank goodness for the tree canopy in my backyard, the quilt and I managed to stay dry enough.


I grabbed a screenshot of some of the images from the fabric and printed it out and traced it onto freezer paper to make the appliques. I wish I was better at applique work. Kellie is so amazing at it that I feel like I didn't do her fabrics justice with my work. I'm sure the baby won't know the difference though, right?


The fire truck is my favorite!


I quilted it the same way I quilted Little Faces, the pattern has such a fun, juvenile type feel to it. You can see it best here, all wrapped up and ready to go!


My husband said his boss smiled real big when he gave the quilt to him and he couldn't believe I made a quilt for his baby. He said he kept looking at the quilting and asking if I did all that, but he didn't unwrap it, he wanted his wife to do the honors. Then you know what he did? He forgot to give it to her! I've never met her before, I really hope she likes it! 


P.S. Today is the last day to enter the giveaway!


5 comments:

Bree said...

Oh, I love the fire truck! I might have to sneak that into something for Kid.. he's been mega into trucks and cars lately.

Lynne said...

I think it's a lovely, fun quilt. And the baby won't care a bit but the mum will love it I'm sure!

Heidi Grohs said...

Crap Julie.....seriously? You did it again!! I adore it and I think the appliqué finish makes very special. It says please....come cuddle me and touch me right now!

WoolenSails said...

I love your quilt, it is so adorable and fun. I want to do charity quilts, so fun to see different ideas and things I can do to make nice quilts for kids.

Debbie

Seams Sew Together said...

Very Cute, how can she not like this quilt!!

Post a Comment