Friday, May 13, 2011

My First Quilt


I wanted to join the Blogger's Quilt Festival this year and racked my brain trying to figure out which quilt I wanted to enter. Then I figured what better one than my first? 

I first learned to sew in Home Ec. in middle school. I started out making stuffed animals and shorts. I never pursued it though. My mom says she tried to teach me many times but I was never interested.

Anyway, I decided one year that I wanted to learn how to sew and make some clothes for myself. So I bought a cheap little miniature sewing machine at Target on Black Friday and I went to work.

Word to the wise, if you want to learn how to sew, DO NOT try on a mini sewing machine, you just might give up.

I had a lot of trouble but I pushed through and almost finished a blouse. I say almost because the blouse was fitted and right before I finished it up I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. So I put it away.

Then Bug was born. 

I started seeing all of these cute little headbands and bows and baby legs all over the internet and I said to myself, "I can make those!"

So I made a few on my mini sewing machine and cursed it the whole time. I didn't want to give up though. So I begged and pleaded with my husband for a newer one, an average sized one. One that did more than just a straight stitch. I told him about all the money we would save because I could make her clothes and I could even sell stuff! So he agreed. 

Well, then I decided I wanted to make her a quilt. I happened upon the Old Red Barn Co. quilt along, the very first one, and I said to myself, "I can make that!"

And the rest was history!

So here is Bug's quilt, my very first, and still my very favorite.


It has Strawberry Shortcake and strawberries on it, because momma is a fan, and well that makes her a fan too right? There's actually a story there, I'll tell it to you in a minute. The ladybugs symbolize her nickname.


I pieced the backing with leftover pieces from the front and more strawberries


Then I free motion quilted it, my very first quilt. Hey Dana did, how was I supposed to know there was any other way to do it? 


 Look, a rail fence quilt on a fence rail!


And here she is all snuggled up under it after giving it to her. She loves this quilt and sleeps with it every night. Even though it's WAY too big for her toddler bed!


So here's the Strawberry Shortcake story. 

Back when I was about 5 years old my Grandma explained to me that since my middle name and my mom's middle name and her middle name and HER mom's middle name were all the same, that if I ever had a daughter I would have to give her the same middle name to keep the tradition going.

Then she asked me what I would name my daughter if I ever had one. My 5 year old self replied (with a loud exhalation I'm told) "Oh, I don't know, Strawberry Shortcake Ann"

Well, I'll be darned if my daughter wasn't born with a huge strawberry on her arm. 

My 5 year old self jinxed my poor child!

And believe it or not, she actually is a Strawberry Shortcake fan!

Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival

27 comments:

Lis Harwood said...

Isn't she the cutest and I love the story of the quilt - we have such a love for our first ones don't we? Thank you for sharing your lovely work, enjoy the festival.

patchworkdelights said...

Oh gosh that is a gorgeous quilt and I never realised they had strawberry shortcake fabric!!! Having said that I saw some Toy Story fabric online today!!!
Stunning quilt!

Sara said...

FANTASTIC pops of reds!!! Ladybugs are one of my faves!

Heidi Grohs said...

LOVE IT!!!!! Ladybugs remind me of my mom. She used to find them all over her when she was little. My grandmother still talks about her playing with one at church for the whole Mass!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh, this is such a sweet quilt and a sweet story! Beautiful!

Karen said...

I love your quilt. Your model is just too cute!

Lynne said...

I love your story and it's a very nice quilt!

Thanks for inspiring this beginner.

Katie B said...

Love this quilt! What a sweet story.

stitchinpenny said...

You did a great job. Give your husband a big hug for buying that sewing machine.

Leanne said...

This is a wonderful quilt! And thank you for sharing the story it is lovely.

Debbie said...

Very sweet!

Eileen said...

Nice vibrant quilt and cute story. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Janet said...

Cute quilt and cute story. So your middle name is Shortcake? If so, too funny. And your blog name - Distant Pickles? I bet you've explained that sometime....

Kelli said...

sweet story!
Great job on your first quilt!
Its gorgeous,but addictive hey? :)

Karen said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt. I loved reading the story behind it. Your quilt is so bright and cheerful and your daughter is gorgeous! Glad you were bitten by the quilting bug!

Anonymous said...

Great Story! My daughter and I love Strawberry Shortcake too....we are watching a Dvd of her right now in fact. The other funny thing is that her name is Julie....Maybe all Julie's like Strawberry Shortcake?

Linz said...

Beautiful quilt, beautiful story, beautiful little girl! I love that you FMQ on your first!! That's awesome! Great quilt!

Andrea said...

me encanta esos colores !buen trabajo

Pattilou said...

Great story and the quilt is awesome! Love the colors and just perfect for a strawberry story and a darling little girl!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I remember that quilt from the QAL! I remember the fabrics. Lol it looks great.

Unknown said...

I love all the ladybugs and strawberries! So sweet!

Allie said...

What a cute quilt and story - your daughter is just a little doll! She looks so happy with her quilt!

Desley said...

Thank you for sharing your first quilt, and your story. Your daughter is very cute wrapped up in her quilt.

Quiltbenaco said...

La storia di questo quilt รจ dolcissima, proprio come le fragole!
Ciao

Sherry said...

What a great job you did on your first quilt. It's so pretty. Your little Strawberry Shortcake is too darn cute!!

Dana said...

so so cute! and the quilt isn't so bad either! :)

Simply Sandy said...

I love your strawberry story. You little "bug" is adorable. I love your rail fence quilt, especially on the fence rail. Great fabrics.

Post a Comment